Sunday, January 27, 2008

Famous artist painting

laughing heartily."That's an idea,that is.Ought to be put in a book." "It will be Hastings who will have to do that,"said Poirot,twinklingat me. "Ha ha!That would be a joke,that would,"laughed Japp. I failed to see why the idea was so extremely amusing,and in any case Ithought the joke was in poor taste.Poirot,poor old chap,is gettingon.Jokes about his approaching demise can hardly be agreeable to him. Perhaps my manner showed my feelings,for Japp changed the subject. "Have you heard about Monsieur Poirot's anonymous letter?" "I showed it to Hastings the other day,"said my friend. "Of course,
"I exclaimed."It had quite slipped my memory.Let me see,what was the date mentioned?" "The 21st,"said Japp."That's what I dropped in about.Yesterday was the21st and just out of curiosity I rang up Andover last night.Nothingdoing.One broken shop window-kid throwing stones-and a couple of drunk anddisorderlies.So just for once our Belgian friend was barking up the wrongtree."

No comments: