Sunday, January 27, 2008

Henri Matisse Painting

Going to a well-worn overcoat hanging on the back of the door,he tookfrom the pocket a packet of cheap cigarettes and some matches.He lit acigarette and then returned to the table at which he had been sitting.Hepicked up a railway guide and consulted it,then he returned to theconsideration of a typewritten list of names.With a pen,he made a tickagainst one of the first names on the list. It was Tursday,June 20th. I had been impressed at the time by Poirot's forebodings about theanonymous letter he had received,but I must admit that the matter hadpassed from my mind when the 21st actually arrived and the first reminder ofit came with a visit paid to my friend by Chief Inspector Japp of ScotlandYard.The CID inspector
had been known to us for many years and he gave me ahearty welcome. "Well,I never,"he exclaimed."If it isn't Captain Hastings back fromthe wilds of the what do you call it!Quite like old days seeing you herewith Monsieur Poirot.You're looking well,too.Just a little bit thin on top,eh?Well,that's what we're all coming to.I'm the same."

No comments: