Monday, December 24, 2007

picture of the last supper

'Well! But my dearest life!' said I, 'you might be very happy, and yet be treated rationally.' ¡¡¡¡Dora gave me a reproachful look - the prettiest look! - and then began to sob, saying, if I didn't like her, why had I ever wanted so much to be engaged to her? And why didn't I go away, now, if I couldn't bear her? ¡¡¡¡What could I do, but kiss away her tears, and tell her how I doted on her, after that! ¡¡¡¡'I am sure I am very affectionate,' said Dora; 'you oughtn't to be cruel to me, Doady!' ¡¡¡¡'Cruel, my precious love! As if I would - or could - be cruel to you, for the world!' ¡¡¡¡'Then don't find fault with me,' said Dora, making a rosebud of her mouth;
'and I'll be good.' ¡¡¡¡I was charmed by her presently asking me, of her own accord, to give her that cookery-book I had once spoken of, and to show her how to keep accounts as I had once promised I would. I brought the volume with me on my next visit (I got it prettily bound, first, to make it look less dry and more inviting); and as we strolled about the Common, I showed her an old housekeeping-book of my aunt's, and gave her a set of tablets, and a pretty little pencil-case and box of leads, to practise housekeeping with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

picture of the last supper"