Friday, November 30, 2007

Johannes Vermeer Girl with a Pearl Earring Painting

Wolf Larsen pursed his lips in a long quizzical whistle. ¡¡¡¡'What's her name, then?' he demanded. ¡¡¡¡'I don't know,' I replied. 'She is asleep. She was very tired. In fact, I am waiting to hear the news from you. What vessel was it?' ¡¡¡¡'Mail-steamer,' he answered shortly. 'The City of Tokio, from 'Frisco, bound for Yokohama. Disabled in that typhoon. Old tub. Opened up top and bottom like a sieve. They were adrift four days. And you don't know who or what she is, eh- maid, wife, or widow? Well, well.' ¡¡¡¡He shook his head in a bantering way and regarded me with laughing eyes. ¡¡¡¡'Are you- ' I began. It was on the verge of my tongue to ask if he were going to take the castaways in to Yokohama. 'Am I what?' he asked. ¡¡¡¡'What do you intend doing with Leach and Johnson?' ¡¡¡¡He shook his head. ¡¡¡¡'Really, Hump, I don't know. You see, with these additions I've about all the crew I want.' ¡¡¡¡'And they've about all the escaping they want,' I said. 'Why not give them a change of treatment? Take them aboard and deal gently with them. Whatever they have done, they have been hounded into doing.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl with a pearl earring vermeer"

Art Express said...

girl with a pearl earring vermeer"