Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sung Kim Point

was then that he noticed a figure standing by the water’s edge, looking out to sea. It was leaning on a scythe. The wind whipped at its black robes.
He started to hobble towards it, remembered he was dead, and began to stride. He hadn’t stridden for decades, but it was amazing how it all came back to you.
Before he be invested by the High Priestess,’ he said. ‘And there ain’t been a High Priestess for thousands o’ years. See, I just learned it all from old Tento, who lived here before me. He jus’ said to me one day, "Deccan, it looks as though I’m dyin’, so it’s up to you now, ‘cos if there’s no-one left that remembers properly it’ll all start happening again and you know what that means." Well, fair enough. But that’s not what you’d call a proper investmenting, I’d say.’ was halfway to the dark figure, it spoke to him. DECCAN RIBOBE, it said. ‘That’s me.’ LAST KEEPER OF THE DOOR. ‘Well, I suppose so.’ Death hesitated. YOU ARE OR YOU AREN’T, he said. Deccan scratched his nose. Of course, he thought, you have to be able to touch yourself. Otherwise you’d fall to bits. ‘Technic’ly, a Keeper has to

No comments: