Thursday, December 4, 2008

Frank Dicksee La Belle Dame Sans Merci painting

passed through the Mines. How could that be, if you did not know how to enter? '`The answer to your first question, Boromir,' said the wizard, `is that I do not know the word-yet. But we shall soon see. And,' he added, with a glint in his eyes under their bristling brows, 'you may ask what is the use of my deeds when they are proved useless. As for your other question: do you doubt my tale? Or have you no wits left? I did not enter this way. I came from the East.`If you wish to know, I will tell you that these doors open outwards. From the inside

not you know the word, Gandalf? ' asked Boromir in surprise.`No! ' said the wizard.The others looked dismayed; only Aragorn, who knew Gandalf well, remained silent and unmoved.'Then what was the use of bringing us to this accursed spot?' cried Boromir, glancing back with a shudder at the dark water. `You told us that you had once you may thrust them open with your hands. From the outside nothing will move them save the spell of command. They cannot be forced inwards.'`What are you going to do then? ' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.`Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. `But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.

No comments: