Friday, October 17, 2008

Thomas Kinkade San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf painting

other sort, in fact rather inferior, because the local sheep are yellow and coarse-fleeced, but to the Paduans they are soft and white as goose-feathers. And they have persuaded the rest of the world that it's so."
I said, playing up to him: "Yellow sheep! That's a rarity. How do they get that colour, sir?"
"Why, by drinking the spring-water. There's sulphur in it. All Paduans are yellow. Look at Livy."
Livy came slowly towards us. "A joke is a joke, Follio, and I can take it in good part. But there's also a serious matter in question and that is, the proper writing of history. It may be that I have made mistakes. What historian is free from them? I have not, at least, told deliberate falsehoods: you'll not accuse me of that. Any legendary episode from early historical writings which bears on my theme of the ancient greatness of Rome I gladly incorporate in the story: though it may not be true in factual detail, it is true in spirit! I

No comments: