Friday, February 29, 2008

famous horse painting

before I have been recalling a hundred reasons that should make me refrain: it is some devil that urges me to thwart my own schemes by killing him. You fight against that devil for love as long as you may; when the times comes, not all the angels in heaven shall save him!'
I surveyed the weapon inquisitively. A hideous notion struck me: how powerful I should be possessing such an instrument! I took it from his hand, and touched the blade. He looked astonished at the expression my face assumed during a brief second: it was not horror, it was covetousness. He snatched the pistol back, jealously; shut the knife, and returned it to its concealment.
`I don't care if you tell him,' said he. `Put him on his guard, and watch for him. You know the terms we are on, I see: his danger does not shock you.'
`What has Heathcliff done to you?' I asked. `In what has he wronged you, to warrant this appalling hatred? Wouldn't it be wiser to bid him quit the house?'

No comments: