Tuesday, December 18, 2007

the last supper

'Trot,' said my aunt at last, when she had finished her tea, and carefully smoothed down her dress, and wiped her lips - 'you needn't go, Barkis! - Trot, have you got to be firm and self-reliant?' ¡¡¡¡'I hope so, aunt.' ¡¡¡¡'What do you think?' inquired Miss Betsey. ¡¡¡¡'I think so, aunt.' ¡¡¡¡'Then why, my love,' said my aunt, looking earnestly at me, 'why do you think I prefer to sit upon this property of mine tonight?' ¡¡¡¡I shook my head, unable to guess.
¡¡¡'Because,' said my aunt, 'it's all I have. Because I'm ruined, my dear!' ¡¡¡¡If the house, and every one of us, had tumbled out into the river together, I could hardly have received a greater shock. ¡¡¡¡'Dick knows it,' said my aunt, laying her hand calmly on my shoulder. 'I am ruined, my dear Trot! All I have in the world is in this room, except the cottage; and that I have left Janet to let. Barkis, I want to get a bed for this gentleman tonight. To save expense, perhaps you can make up something here for myself. Anything will do. It's only for tonight. We'll talk about this, more, tomorrow.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the last supper"