Monday, November 26, 2007

Rembrandt The Jewish Bride

Who is the fellow?' asked d'Urberville, turning to Tess. ¡¡¡¡She went close up to him. ¡¡¡¡`Go - I do beg you!' she said. ¡¡¡¡`What! And leave you to that tyrant? I can see in his face what a churl he is.' ¡¡¡¡`He won't hurt me. He's not in love with me. I can leave at Lady-Day.' ¡¡¡¡`Well, I have no right but to obey, I suppose. But - well, good-bye!' ¡¡¡¡Her defender, whom she dreaded more than her assailant, having reluctantly disappeared, the farmer continued his reprimand, which Tess took with the greatest coolness, that sort of attack being independent of sex. To have as a master this man of stone, who would have cuffed her if he had dared, was almost a relief after her former experiences. She silently walked back towards the summit of the field that was the scene of her labour, so absorbed in the interview which had Just taken place that she was hardly aware that the nose of Groby's horse almost touched her shoulders.

No comments: