Monday, November 26, 2007

Nighthawks Hopper

He moodily reflected with his eyes on the ground. `Married. Married! - Well, that being so,' he added, quite calmly, tearing the licence slowly into halves and putting them in his pocket; `that being prevented, I should like to do some good to you and your husband, whoever he may be. There are many questions that I am tempted to ask, but I will not do so, of course, in opposition to your wishes. Though, if I could know your husband, I might more easily benefit him and you. Is he on this farm?' ¡¡¡¡`No,' she murmured. `He is far away.' ¡¡¡¡`Far away? From you? What sort of husband can he be?' ¡¡¡¡`O, do not speak against him! It was through you! He found out------' ¡¡¡¡`Ah, is it so! - . That's sad, Tess!' ¡¡¡¡`Yes.' ¡¡¡¡`But to stay away from you - to leave you to work like this!' ¡¡¡¡`He does not leave me to work!' she cried, springing to the defence of the absent one with all her fervour. `He don't know it! It is by my own arrangement.' ¡¡¡¡`Then, does he write?' ¡¡¡¡`I - I cannot tell you. There are things which are private to ourselves.'

No comments: