Friday, November 30, 2007

flower art painting

Two hours of terrible work followed, in which all hands of us- two hunters, three sailors, Wolf Larsen, and I- reefed, first one and then the other, the jib and mainsail. Hove to under this short canvas, our decks were comparatively free of water, while the Ghost bobbed and ducked among the combers like a cork. ¡¡¡¡I had burst open the ends of my fingers at the very first, and during the reefing I had worked with tears of pain running down my cheeks. And when all was done, I gave up like a woman and rolled. upon the deck in the agony of exhaustion. ¡¡¡¡In the meantime, Thomas Mugridge, like a drowned rat, was being dragged out from under the forecastle head, where he had cravenly ensconced himself. I saw him pulled aft to the cabin, and noted with a shock of surprise that the galley had disappeared. A clean space of deck showed where it had stood. ¡¡¡¡In the cabin I found all hands assembled, sailors as well, and while coffee was being cooked over the small stove we drank whiskey and crunched hardtack. Never in my life had food been so welcome, and never had hot coffee tasted so good. So violently did the Ghost pitch and toss and tumble that it was impossible for even the

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

flower art painting"

Anonymous said...

flower art painting"